Good skin is the foundation for great makeup, plus a clear healthy face does a lot for your confidence.
I’m quite lucky in the sense that I don’t have acne prone skin, however my skin is very sensitive and tends to get very dry, I can also get red blotches or a rash if I use a new product, for instance. For me moisture is essential, preferably something with an oil to help maintain moisture.
Here are some tips for clear skin that’ll work universally, no matter your skin type.
- Drink, drink, drink– you’ve heard it before, good hydration = good skin.
- Always remove your makeup with a good cleanser– makeup wipes don’t cut it, I use Nivea sensitive skin wipes but follow up with cleansing milk and cotton wool. Then splash your face with toner or cold water, they have the same effect. For an extra fresh face, you can give yourself a DIY steam, see my step-by-step guide here.
- Wash your face every morning but not with soap– you don’t want to be drying out your skin daily, that moisture is hard to retain, especially in the winter months. Instead, have a mild cleanse using just water, warm water to open the pores and cold water to close them. You can follow up your warm water by tracing an ice-cube around the face to close your pores and tone the skin.
- Exfoliate weekly– freshen your face with a gentle exfoliant every week, one of the best exfoliators I’ve ever used was called ‘Perfect face polish’ and it was from No7 at Boots, but I think they discontinued it 🙁 I’m forever on the look out for an exfoliator that gives the same radiant effect, if anyone knows of one, please let me know!
- Find a good overnight mask– not that widely used, but an overnight cream or mask is an excellent way of keeping your skin in good condition, you’ll never wakeup to a bad skin day, and it will seal in the moisture to prevent overnight drying.
- Moisturise, moisturise– whether you need an aqua or oil based moisturiser, you definitely need a moisturiser, it’s essential for soft supple skin and can double up as makeup primer.
- Use a mud or clay mask every 1-2 weeks– I like to keep trying different masks, if ever I’ve been lax on my skin routine and it needs some extra TLC, a good mud mask will always save the day, at the moment I’ve been using L’Oreal Pure Clay Glow Mask, you can check it out, here.
Do you have any tips for healthy, clear skin? Leave them below 🙂